The Lagos State Government on Thursday denied claims of its involvement in the fire incident that took place in Otodo Gbame Community in Lekki area of the State on November 9.
The State Government specifically refuted media reports suggesting that it authorised the burning down of the community, saying that the allegation was far from the truth.
The Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr. Steve Ayorinde, in a statement, said the State Government shared in the painful loss of the residents.
The statement said Police reports and evaluation by the LASG showed that the waterfront community was razed by the fire incident that happened during an ethnic clash between Egun and Yoruba residents of the community.
It said that a large part of the shanties had already been razed down before the combined team of fire brigade and emergency rescue officers got to the scene.
He said, “It is therefore unfortunate that a few aggrieved persons will choose to blame the government and law enforcement officers that rose to the occasion in ensuring that the clashes did not degenerate further.
“While the Otodo Gbame shanties clearly fell within the prime waterfront areas where the government would prefer to have better development, it was mindful of the fundamental rights of the various residents living in the area.”
The statement said that while government was not unaware of the legal tussle over the areas and the rights of citizens to stage peaceful protests, relevant agencies of government had since been deployed to provide succour to the displaced people.
It warned both local and foreign individuals or groups that may be using the unfortunate incident to perpetrate evil to desist from taking advantage of an unfortunate development.
The post Lagos govt. denies demolishing Otodo Gbame community appeared first on Punch Newspapers.