There was pandemonium in the early hours of Tuesday, June 18, 2018, at Akpata Street in Egor Local Government Area of Edo State as six members of a family of seven was wiped out by alleged generator fume.

Reports had it that the family put on a generator in their kitchen on Monday night and left it running throughout the night during which they inhaled the fume.

It was gathered that some neighbours raised an alarm when nobody came out of the apartment and one the doors was forced opened only to find the bodies of the family lying lifelessly except their father who was
said to be in coma.


The father of the deceased children, identified as Tochukwu Okwueze, was said to have been taken to a hospital in the Eweka area of Benin immediately for medical attention.

The lifeless bodies of the deceased which were brought to the Benin Central Hospital however attracted sympathizers who resulted to prayers for God’s intervention.

They were later deposited at the Benin Central Hospital mortuary amidst weeping and wailing from the sympathizers.

One of the relatives of the deceased, Vincent, explained to newsmen that his younger one called him from Lagos and asked him what was happening in Benin and he told him that he did not know.

“So, he told me to go to the house of the deceased that something not pleasing to the ears had just happened.

“So, I call her (deceased woman) line and somebody picked the call and said that they (victims) slept and did not wake up. I stay at Evbuotubu area, so I went to the place and discovered that the whole family was affected but their father has been taken to the hospital.

But the police told me that the father survived it. They said that though his case was serious, if there was the need to rush him to the University of Benin Teaching Hospital, they would call me. It is a family of seven. The youngest is a set of twins,” he said.

The Edo State Commissioner of Police, Mr. Johnson Kokumo, who confirmed the incident said investigation into the incident was already on.