– EFCC boss, Ibrahim Magu says some forces are spreading campaigns of misinformation in the social media intended to tarnish his image
– Magu alleges that mischief makers are hell-bent on causing disaffection between him and the executive on one hand, and the members of staff of the EFCC on the other hand
– The EFCC boss says he is privilege to serve the country and has no axe to grind with any interest
Ibrahim Magu alleges that mischief makers are spreading campaigns of misinformation in the social media intended to impugn his integrity.
The acting chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Ibrahim Magu, has alleged that some forces not comfortable with his campaign to rescue the nation from the vice grip of corruption are plotting to ruin his reputation.
READ ALSO: How Olisa Metuh spent N400 million – Witness
Magu in a statement on Thursday, November 3, through the spokesperson for the anti-graft agency, said those behind the plot were already spreading campaigns of misinformation in the social media intended to impugn his integrity and set him against certain interests both within and outside of government, Premium Times reports.
“In the last week or so, the social media has been awash with fictitious reports, all painting an uncanny picture of desperation by Magu over his purported non-confirmation as substantive chair of the EFCC, and of stricture within the rank and file of the EFCC workforce leading to resignations,” statement said.
The statement further cited one of the fictitious reports being carried by several gossip blogs as a story with the title: “How EFCC’s Magu and Sahara Reporters Peddle Lies to the Media”.
The commission described the report as an invention of falsehood by mischief makers hell-bent on causing disaffection between the Magu-led EFCC and the Executive on one hand, and the members of staff of the EFCC on the other hand.
The statement noted that Magu does not bully anyone, and has not embarked on any mission aimed at blackmailing “some highly placed personalities in the country such as Emirs, President Muhammadu Buhari’s appointees” or any other individual, lowly or highly placed in the society.
“The allusion to “bullying” and “victimization” of EFCC staff is clearly designed to instigate the staff of the Commission against its leadership as there is no truth in it. For the records, no “senior EFCC core staff” has resigned from the Commission and insinuation of mass resignation at the Commission is mere scaremongering. The same applies to the claim that a sensitive unit has been set up in the Commission to “bug the phone lines” of some persons. This is mischief taken too far!,” it added.
According to the statement, Magu, who is humbled by the rare privilege to serve the country, has no axe to grind with any interest.
“I came to this job with an open mind to do my best for my country. My actions are dictated by my professional instinct and the love for my country. It is not personal and I have no issues with anybody,” the statement said.
Meanwhile, Reuben Abati, detained former presidential spokesman, has made a U-turn barely a week after offering to refund N5 million out of N50 million he allegedly received from Sambo Dasuki, former national security adviser.
This follows a report on Premium Times that the former president Goodluck Jonathan’s spokesman on Thursday, November 3, told the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) that he does not have any money to refund to the government.
According to sources within the agency, Abati told interrogators that he had no immediate means of sourcing the amount for which he is being detained.
The post EFCC boss raises alarm over plot by ‘unknown forces’ appeared first on Nigeria News today & Breaking news | Read Naij.com 24/7.