Every Tuesday a group of Akwa Ibomites with a common handle @ProjectNewAKS on twitter engages twitter fans to a tweet-convo on topical issues not limited to politics (Local Government, State and national), culture, religion, industrialization and many others. The sole aim of the tweet-convo is to bring to bare the untapped assets of our teeming populace by promoting Akwa Ibom State‘s common interest in an all engaging session.
Over the months, they have had very enlightening sessions, eg: A session with Bishop Samuel Akpan – @SamAkpan001 a governorship hopeful in Akwa Ibom State – #AKS2015.
They have also talked on #AKS2015: Effectiveness of Social Network/Twitter in Influencing the Political Space were Mmanti Umoh – @MissChangeGene and many others took us to a trending 3rd position on Nigeria‘s trend map.
On Tuesday, 9th July 2013 they played host to yet another erudite Akwa Ibom son. A technocrat working with ALSCON, Mr. Samuel Out – @replyOtu to discuss; The Future of Electricity in Nigeria: The Akwa Ibom Case and the hastag was #NewAkwaIbom
Below is an overview presented by @replyOtu on the discourse on ‘The Future of Electricity in Nigeria: The Akwa Ibom Case’ with @replyOtu
We are all aware that one key indices in gauging the development of any nation is its electricity consumption per capita.
Every facet of our social, economic and industrial development is linked to the availability and utilization of reliable electric power.
Nigeria built its first power plant in 1896 with a 20MW station at Ijora, near Lagos and until 1951, there was no government entity to regulate or manage nationwide electric generation/supply.
This necessitated the formation of the Electricity Corporation of Nigeria (ECN).
In 1960 the Niger Dam Authority was formed to manage dams responsible for generation, transmission, distribution and trading of electricity in Nigeria, and in 2001, the National Electric Power Policy was developed, which set the pace for the electricity reform in Nigeria.
As a follow up, the Electric Power Reform Bill was proposed in 2003, passed by the National Assembly, and assented to by the then President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo in March of 2005.
This feat led to the formations of the IPPs which was to add nearly 5000MW to the grid by 2008. A dream not yet realized till date!
In the course of discussion, @replyOtu emphasised on the breakthrough made by the Akwa Ibom State government led by His Excellency, Chief Godswill Akpabio in bringing an end to the decaying state of electricity generation/distribution in the state vis-a-vis Nigeria, though with its accompanying challenges.
In his words, @replyOtu enumerated the success as;
1. The completion of the 190MW Ibom Power Plant
2. Completion of the over 60KM gas pipeline to the Ibom Power Plant
3. The linking of over 80% villages to the electricity distribution network.
5. License to ALSCON to evacuate its excess 100MW to the national grid
6. Mobil secured the evacuation license and is constructing a 500MW power plant in Qua Iboe Terminal (QIT)
7. Akwa Ibom State government joining 3 other states to acquire PHEDC from the Federal Government to ensure result oriented distribution
Continuing, @replyOtu made this assertion; “Akwa Ibom State electricity demand which is at about 90-95MW with the state’s IPP capacity of 190MW. With this, always remember that Akwa Ibom State actually generates more than it needs, so generation is not our problem.
For two decades, the Federal Government claimed to be spending an average of USD 2bn annually on power with generation stuck at 2000MW over the period.
To achieve a sustainable power regime that will ensure national economic growth target towards Vision 20:20:20, all hands must be on deck by monitoring the power reform process, criticize, encourage/praise where necessary rather than folding our arms calling it a government thing.
We will soon be there!”
For more on this tweet-convo, read through #NewAkwaIbom and follow @ProjectNewAKS on twitter.
@AkwaIbomOnline – pin: 296D678C
Stories you should not MISS!!
- SIVIC BOUTIQUE ANNOUNCE LATEST ARRIVALS! NEW!!
- IT’S OFFICIAL! FUNKE AKINDELE IS DIVORCED!
- MEET DEHNIECE ETUKUDO…YOUNG AND UPWARDLY MOBILE
- MEET MMANTI UMOH – SOUTH-SOUTH NIGERIA’S ONLY FEMALE KEYNOTE SPEAKER
- 3RD IBIBIO PEOPLES CONGRESS FIXED FOR AUGUST 14-15 IN WASHINGTON DC.
- BE THE 1ST TO LISTEN! ‘SUPPOSE TO KNOW’ – ILLRHYMES [DJ KASS MASH UP VERSION]
- DJ KASS DROPS ILLRHYMES ‘SUPPOSE TO KNOW’ MASHUP VERSION TONITE!
- WIZKID, ICE PRINCE, MOSES INWANG, IGONI ARCHIBONG ETC SHINES AT 2013 CITY PEOPLE ENTERTAINMENT AWARDS [FULL LIST OF WINNERS]
- KOSMIKKREATIONZ ANNOUNCE ANNIVERSARY PACKAGE FOR BRIDES IN AKWA IBOM
- LAST WEEK REPORTS OF #NEWAKWAIBOM’S TWEET-CONVO
What’s your comment on this post?