Crowd Trouble Aborts Burnley-Hannover Friendly

Premier League Burnley’s pre-season friendly match with Bundesliga club Hannover was abandoned at half-time on Saturday following crowd trouble from the visiting German supporters.

Burnley said in a statement on Twitter that the game had been abandoned “on police advice” and home supporters were asked to leave the stadium.

Today’s game has been abandoned, on Police advice.

more to follow…

— Burnley FC (@BurnleyOfficial) August 5, 2017

Media reports said the visiting supporters had thrown seats and surged towards Burnley fans during the first half shortly after Burnley had taken the lead in the 41st minute.

Chief Superintendent of Lancashire Police, Chris Bithell, said in a statement that Hannover fans had also tried to attack police and stewards.

eurous dot net

“A decision has been taken to abandon the football match between Burnley FC and Hanover 96, following consultation between the police match commander, the referee and Burnley FC’s grounds safety officer. This follows violent behaviour by a group of travelling Hanover fans, who attempted to attack fans in the home stands, as well as police officers and stewards.

“Although a robust policing operation was in place for the match, based on pre-game intelligence, additional resources have now been brought in from across the county to ensure no further disorder occurs,” the statement read.

The incidents took place in the Cricket Field stand which is divided between visiting and home supporters.

The post Burnley-Hannover Friendly Aborted After Crowd Trouble appeared first on Channels Television.

Related posts:

Leave a Reply