The National Executive Committee (NEC) of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) met today to accept the resignation of 12 members of its National Working Committee (NWC) whose 2012 election the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) said had violated the guidelines for the congresses and national convention.
The meeting began with President Goodluck Jonathan in attendance, but several of the party’s governors were conspicuously absent, a public sign of Mr. Jonathan’s slipping respect in the party.
Olisa Metuh, the outgoing National Publicity Secretary, moved the motion announcing the resignation of the 12 affected NWC members. That motion was immediately adopted and they were escorted out of the venue.
The NEC later appointed a caretaker committee of 20 to run the party until the national convention scheduled for July 15.
It has been a frantic week. Alhaji Bamanga Tukur, the chairman of the party, was originally scheduled to join those being escorted out today as recommended by a panel led by the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Anyim Pius Anyim. Beyond the legal problems facing the party, that committee held Alhaji Tukur to be responsible for running the party into the ground.
Just two days ago, Jonathan buckled under the pressure mounted by Tukur and elected to retain him using the argument that he has no legal problems. While the party has been forced to obey an INEC recommendation, Mr. Jonathan seems to have chosen to embrace the problems identified by his own committee in the party chairman. Yesterday, as he announced his own resignation, former party spokesman Metuh characterized Tukur as “not only in office but in power.”
Below is the list of the 20 members today appointed to fill vacancies in the NWC:
1) Ag. Deputy National Chairman Hon. Chibudom Nwuche
2) Ag. National Secretary Dr.Remi Akintoye
3) Ag. Deputy National Secretary Se. Emma Agboti
4) Ag. National Organizing Secretary Yusuf Hamisu Abubakar
5) Ag. National Publicity Secretary Tony Ceaser Okeke
6) Ag. National Legal Adviser Simon D. Jok Esq.
7) Ag. National Youth Leader Barr. Tanko Beji
8) Ag. National Women Leader Barr. Oyibo Nwaneri
9) Ag. Deputy National Legal Adviser Barr. Yau Kwadon
10) Ag. Deputy National Youth Leader Hon. Peter Adefunmilayo
11) Ag. Deputy National Auditor Nasiru Ibrahim Birchi
12) Ag. Deputy National Woman Leader Mrs. Torkwase Ajoh
13) Ag. National Tresurer Mohammed Dandari
14) Ag. Deputy National Organising Onyemachi Ikechukwu Jideofor
15) Ag. Deputy National Financial Secretary Hon. Awalu Gwalabe
16) Ag. Deputy National Treasurer Chief Augustine Lugbenwei
17) Ag. Deputy National Publicity Secretary Calib Yahaya
18) Ag. Ex-Officio Chief Akin Taiwo
19) Ag. Ex-Officio Tope Ademiluyi
20) Ag. Ex-Officio Chief Mike Akinfenwa
21) Ag. Ex-Officio Hon. Gbenga Oduwaiye
Culled from: Saharareporters.com
- FIFA CONFEDERATIONS CUP: NIGERIA VS URUGUAY – THE GAME. THE STAKES. THE STAT. THE WORD! NEW!!
- BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE RETURNS! 2013/14 FIXTURES RELEASED! NEW!!
- EXCLUSIVE PICTURES FROM NDITO BOYS & GIRLS DEMOCRACY DAY JAMBOREE NEW!!
- WORLD MUSIC DAY: E-101 MAGAZINE STAGES 1 DAY MUSIC SUMMIT NEW!!
- DILEMMA CROONER NELLY RETURNS! NEW!!
- B-R-E-A-K-I-N-G! POPULAR GOSPEL MUSIC ARTISTE ‘BOBBY FRIGA’ EXPOSED! NEW!!
- DOUBLE JOY FOR MR BASSEY ALBERT AKPAN AS WIFE DELIVERS BABY GIRL! NEW!!
- MAJOR SHAKE-UP IN AKWA IBOM STATE EXCO [NEW PORTFOLIO] NEW!!
- OFFICIAL NECO EXAMINATION TIMETABLE 2013 NEW!!
- 5 TOP DESIGNERS THAT WILL SHOWCASE IN KARDYNAL STYLE SELECTION THIS MONTH-END IN UYO NEW!!
What’s your comment on this post?